A few weeks ago my sister got engaged, and I could not be happier for her. Needless to say she is already in full-swing wedding planning mode as the date has been set to a year from now. She has selected me as Maid of Honor, which is semi-frightening because all I know about weddings I learned from Bridesmaids and Wedding Crashers. I have received a laundry list of all of my responsibilities, highlighted and organized by priority. If any of you will be a Maid of Honor in the future, or for some strange reason are just interested, here is the list of the duties my sister sent me – which essentially amounts to doing everything and is a mild form of slave labor. LOVE YA SIS!
The maid of honor has one of the most important (and demanding) jobs out of the bridal party.Not only does she need to be responsible, she must be very close to the bride as well and be able to keep her cool, calm, and collected throughout the entire process. Duties include the following:
- Assists the bride with all wedding related shopping: the dress, bridesmaid dresses, accessories
- Helps organize hair and makeup for the bridesmaids
- Plans and hosts the bridal shower and bachelorette party
- Witnesses and sign the Marriage Certificate
- Attends the rehearsal and rehearsal dinner
- Carries an emergency kit for the bride on the day of the wedding (although if you have a planner or day-of coordinator, they usually hold onto this)
- Holds the bride’s bouquet during the ceremony
- Stays by the bride’s side at all times and oversee the bridesmaids – KEY!
- Holds onto the groom’s ring during the ceremony
- Helps make favors and address invitations
- Gives a speech and toast during the wedding reception
- Acts as air traffic control for the bride, wedding planner, and family
- Responsible for paying for her own travel, attire, and accessories
- Gives the bride both a shower gift and wedding gift
- Helps out however and whenever she can
- Encourages guests to get on the dance floor during the reception (You shouldn’t have a problem with this)
- Create and maintain wedding website
And I was like…DANG, ANYTHING ELSE? But seriously, I’m honored she chose me to stand beside her throughout this process and I can’t wait to be apart of it all.
Since I have absolutely no idea what I’m doing and my best idea so far of the Bachelorette Party in Las Vegas got rejected (what?), I turned to Pinterest. I have compiled a board of all of my favorite ideas for dresses, decor, invitations, parties, etc. Here are some of my favorite ideas:
So there you have it, you’re welcome sis!